Speech/Language Pathologist (SLP) performs treatment for patients of VNA Home Health Services / Somerset Hills Hospice, and VNA Community Health Services as prescribed by their physicians.
REPORTS TO: Manager, Rehabilitation Services
- Current license to practice Speech Therapy in the State of New Jersey
- Current New Jersey Drivers License
- Minimum 2 years satisfactory work experience in Speech Therapy
- Prior home care experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of current speech therapy principles and practices
- Knowledge/application of modalities and techniques used in speech therapy and full knowledge of their effects
- Knowledge of human anatomy/physiology and effect of treatment procedure on body function and structure
- Knowledge of disease process, causative factors, and value of speech therapy intervention in its relief
- Knowledge of safety and infection control procedures and Universal Precautions
- Knowledge of Medicare and 3rd party payor rules/regulations for home care
- Basic knowledge of the OASIS form, OASIS function and OASIS scoring
- Basic computer skills
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attends and completes the orientation program provided by the Agency.
- Maintains standards as set by ASHA regarding treatment procedures, professional ethics and standards of practice.
- Administer speech/swallow therapy services per M.D. orders:
- Provide referrals to ancillary support disciplines (MSW, Registered Dietitians, etc.)
- Participate in staff meetings and attend mandatory inservice educational programs
- Maintain adequate records and document treatment per Medicare/Payor guidelines
- Responsible for OASIS scoring accuracy and ongoing OASIS education
- Follow proper safety and infection control procedures
- Coordinate with patient/family to schedule speech therapy visits; keeping them informed of any changes that may occur. Keep therapist rescheduling to a minimum
- Demonstrate flexibility with willingness to travel to the various geographical locations of our patients, and help to cover patients for vacationing therapists
- Perform duties within the established policies of the VNA of Somerset Hills and all associated regulatory agents/agencies such as CHAP, OIG, OSHA, State, etc.
- Accept and perform other duties as assigned
– Responds to physicians for confirmation, clarification or elaboration of treatment orders.
– Recommends/Implements changes in treatment plan with MD approval and signature; based upon the patient’s response to therapy.
– Provide services in the categories of:
– Speech therapy evaluation and swallow safety assessment
– Patient care planning and the establishment of treatment goals
– Implementation of treatment program to relieve pain, develop or restore function, and maintain maximum performance
– Provides appropriate discharge planning and refers to appropriate resources if indicated
– Provides patient/family/caregiver education to include a relevant home program with instruction to patient, family, and assistive personnel
– Utilize therapeutic modalities that are available for the home treatment setting
– Instruct patient/family/caregiver in techniques that optimize speech and swallow function
– Direct and assist patient in home activity program; therapeutic exercise, muscle re-education, safe-swallow strategies and strict adherence to diet texture and fluid viscosity recommendations
– Inservice training to patients/families/caregivers and the community at large
– Referral for MBS studies to SMC per Department policy