JOB SUMMARY: Physical therapist performs physical therapy treatment for patients of VNA Home Health Services, VNA Hospice Care and VNA Community Health Services as prescribed by their physicians.
REPORTS TO: Manager, Rehabilitation Services
- Current license to practice physical therapy in the State of New Jersey
- Current New Jersey Drivers License
Minimum of two years satisfactory work experience in physical therapy. Prior home care experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of current physical therapy principles and practices.
- Knowledge/application of modalities used in physical therapy and full knowledge of their effects.
- Knowledge of human anatomy/physiology and effect of treatment procedure on body function and structure.
- Knowledge of disease process, causative factors, and value of physical therapy agents in its relief.
- Knowledge of safety and infection control procedures.
- Knowledge of Medicare and third party payor rules/regulations for home care.
- Basic knowledge of the OASIS form, OASIS function and OASIS scoring.
- Basic computer skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attends and completes the orientation program provided by the Agency.
- Maintain standards as set by the APTA regarding treatment procedures, professional ethics and standards of practice.
- Administer physical therapy services as per M.D. orders:
a. Responds to physicians for confirmation, clarification or elaboration of treatment orders.
b. Recommends/implements changes in treatment plan with MD approval and signature; based upon the patient’s response to therapy.
- Provide services in the categories of:
a. Admission Visit (Start of Care) including patient sign-off for consent of visits.
b. Physical therapy evaluation and home safety assessment.
c. Patient care planning/establishment of treatment goals.
d. Implementation of treatment program to relieve pain, develop or restore function, and maintain maximal performance.
e. Provides appropriate discharge planning and refers to appropriate resources if indicated.
f. Provides patient/family education to include a relevant home of home program with instruction to patient, family, and assistive personnel.
g. Utilize therapeutic modalities that are available for the home setting.
h. Instruct patient/family/caregiver in the use of assistive devices: wheelchair, walker, canes, crutches, prosthetic/orthotic devices and Hoyer lift.
i. Direct and assist patient in therapeutic exercise, muscle re-education, gait, transfers and functional training, ADL’s and prosthetic training.
j. In service training to patients/family/caregivers and the community at large.
- Provide referrals to ancillary support disciplines (MSW, Registered Dieticians, etc.)
- Participate in staff meetings and attend mandatory in service educational programs.
- Maintain adequate records and dcoument treatment per Medicare/Payor guidelines.
- Responsible for OASIS scoring accuracy and ongoing OASIS education
- Follow proper safety and infection control procedures.
- Coordinate with patient/family to schedule physical therapy visits; keeping them informed of any changes that may occur. Keep therapist rescheduling to a minimum..
- Therapists are not permitted to make any arrangements with a patient where you will provide services on a private basis. The individuals for whom you provide service are clients of the Agency, and options do exist for private payment to the Agency.
- Therapists will coordinate time off with the Rehab Manager and/or Director of Clinical Services in order to insure adequate coverage for the therapy service.
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to travel to the various geographical locations of our patients, and help cover patients for vacationing therapists.
- Works weekends on rotation to cover orthopedic protocols for join-replacement patients and/or other designated patients. If unable to cover accepted weekend rotation due to illness or emergency, the therapist will find their own replacement.
- Perform duties within the established policies of the VNA of Somerset Hills and all associated regulatory agents/agencies such as CHAP, OIG, OSHA, State, etc.
- Accept and perform other duties as assigned.