Adult Day Center Program Assistant – Per Diem
Serving the community since 1988, the Adult Day Center (ADC) provides a warm and welcoming setting with opportunity for socialization for people with cognitive impairments and/or, or functional impairments due to stroke or chronic illnesses. Our goal is to provide supervision and enrichment to improve quality of life for our clients who attend and their caregivers. The care provided at the Center may help delay need for placing a loved one in an assisted living or nursing facility. The Center is a service provided by the VNA of Somerset Hills.
As Program Assistant at our Adult Day Center, you will be working directly with our elderly/older adult clients, many of whom have cognitive disabilities such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. Your responsibilities may include activities such as providing hands-on assistance for clients with personal care needs, and assisting clients and staff with Center programs and activities. This rewarding opportunity is ideal for a warm, friendly and patient person who enjoys spending time with the elderly, helping to maintain their dignity and enrich their daily quality of life.
Reports to: Center Manager
- Professional or personal experience working with the population served by our Adult Day Center, which is primarily elderly
- High School diploma or equivalent
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a group setting
- Effective interpersonal skills and patience needed to interact with our clients
- Ability to maintain client/family confidentiality
- Ability to handle crisis in a calm constructive manner
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hands on assistance for clients’ personal care as needed
- Ability to handle clients’ personal care with toileting when necessary
- Treat clients with respect, kindness, patience; helping to maintain clients’ dignity.
- Work with team to insure safety of clients at all times
- Assist clients that are unsteady with walking
- Assist with activities/projects at request of Activities Manager
- Assist during lunchtime to ensure calm, orderly flow of meal time experience for clients
- Promote the ADC in the community when possible
- Perform other duties as assigned